Subject: re: image map or object
From: [email-masked] (Steven Davis)
To: [email-masked] (LightWave Mailing List)
Date: Mon, 8 May 95 9:09:52 CDT

> I would like to here from others (that is what this list for, right?) on 
> what you all do....which route do you all take?  
> What I have done is removed a good number of image maps off the objects and 
> created objects that looks very much like them by hand in MODELER!  
> Is it better that way or use image mapping?  Weird question, huh?

I usually use image maps as much as possible, for speed. Why over-complicate
a scene, you can not usually tell the difference if you create the geometry
or use an image map.

> Just say for instance, I am touching up on my microwave object.  
> I used a image map of the control panel.  But I come to realize that I can 
> create that as a object as well and to me it looks better!

If you want to model the geometry because you feel it better, you can do this.
for example the MicroWave control panel, model it, move the camera to face
it so it fills up the screen, render to an image, clip the image, and then
use this image as the map.

> 
> I understand that image mapping is great and to get the closest 
> to 'real life' look.

You can image map with pre-rendered details.  I do this often for windows,
door, etc..  Saves alot of memory, and decreases render time.

> Good day
> Alex

SD.